1. Home
  2.  | FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions And Answers

Should I sign a release or statement?

When you’ve been injured, you may be asked to sign a release or statement prior to speaking to your own attorney. We sincerely advise you against this and urge you to contact us prior to giving any type of statement regarding your accident or injuries or before agreeing to any type of settlement or other limitation on your rights.

How long will it take to obtain compensation?

It’s difficult to predict how long it will take to resolve any lawsuit. At St. Martin & Bourque, our goal is help you move forward with your life as quickly possible. Of course, we never prioritize speed over maximizing your result. Therefore, we believe, it’s important that we keep you updated on the process of your claim so that you are aware of all possible paths and outcomes.

What damages am I entitled to?

It’s very important to our clients that they receive adequate compensation for the injuries they’ve suffered. It’s our goal to help our clients receive damages sufficient to help them move forward with their lives. Determining what money damages you may be entitled to may be based on a number of factors, including:

  • Medical casts
  • Lost wages
  • Lost earning capacity
  • Childcare costs
  • Funeral expenses
  • Pain and suffering

Of course, the amount of damages will be dependent on not only the facts and circumstances of your injury, but also the related law. At St. Martin & Bourque, we will work with you and with our experienced legal team to help you maximize your results.

What does it mean to sue someone? Should I sue for my injuries?

When you file suit, you are asking the court system to step into a controversy and determine who is responsible for your injury and how much you should be compensated for your injury. Because facts and circumstances are often complicated, the courts may have to examine multiple responsible parties and multiple interpretations of an event. Sometimes, controversies are resolved before a trial in the form of a settlement, which may include a cash payment. Before filing a suit or accepting a settlement, we recommend that you contact us to determine the best way to protect your rights.